WILLIAM JOHN SMITH, HIGH STREET, OLD SWINDON
William John Smith was a Chemist Druggist born in 1851 in Tetbury to the Master and Matron of the Tetbury Workhouse.
He married Louisa Catherine from North Petherton in Somerset in 1876. By 1881 he was trading as a Chemist in Old Swindon, first operating at No 18 and then at No 22 High Street.
In April 1890 he was elected as a churchwarden. Later that year he would be the main witness that lead to the banning of the Vicar of Swindon for 3 years. See HENRY GEORGE ENGLISH for more details.
In 1921 William is the executor of the will of Ellen Mary Wheeler, daughter of ex chemist CHARLES ANTHONY WHEELER
He was buried in Christ Church, Swindon, on 28th April 1937 having outlived his wife by five years.
William John Smith's Chemist Shop today at 22 High Street, Swindon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorclanger/2891620542/in/photostream/